Thursday, October 21, 2010

Tutorial- Sponged Background

Hi Stampers! 

Thank you so much for all of your comments regarding my recent posts-  we all love receiving feedback and it is so encouraging to me! 

I have had a few requests to explain how I created the sponged background for this card, so I thought it may be easier to try to type a step by step tutorial (to the right is a close-up view of the actual stamped background).
Since this card utilizes a Masking Technique, you will need to create the masks (do not throw them away when you are finished- they can be used several times).  To create the sky mask, I first punched a 1 ¾” circle from a repositionable note (3x3).  Using the portion that had the “punched out” opening, I determined where I wished for my moon/sun to be located and allowed the sticky part of the note to hold the mask in position on the Whisper White cardstock.  I covered up part of this area at the bottom to allow the moon/sun to be in a rising position.  I then used a Sponge Dauber inked with Pumpkin Pie Classic Ink to color in the sun image (using stroking and circular motions).

I created another mask with scrap Whisper White cardstock, tearing along the edge to create a jagged area for the "grass/hills".  Using the "grass" mask, I placed this at the bottom of my sponged moon cardstock and held it with my left hand as I sponged the Wild Wasabi Classic Ink (again with a Sponge Dauber) over the bottom portion of the cardstock.  At this angle, I was protecting the sky area and previously inked sun/moon area from the green ink. 

I applied a bit of repositionable adhesive to the back of the individual circle cut out and placed this over the Pumpkin Pie moon.  I reversed the mask from the bottom (I had to juggle this a bit to have it work but don’t worry- the tree line will cover most of this area) and covered the recently sponged Wild Wasabi grass area (now to protect the grass).  I sponged the Tempting Turquoise ink over the sky area using straight “swooping” motions.  When inking close to the moon/sun image, I held the circle mask down tightly along the edges to get a clean, crisp edge.

After removing the masks, I sponged the Pumpkin Pie around the outer edge of the moon/sun and finished off any white areas with the Wild Wasabi around the grass area as well.    

Using Elegant Eggplant, I stamped the small background stamp from the new set in  French Foliage (Holiday Mini) over the moon/sun.  I also inked up the Lovely As A Tree images with Elegant Eggplant and stamped the line of trees twice over the Wild Wasabi area and using the larger pine type tree, stamped it over the line of trees.  Using a sponge dauber with Elegant Eggplant, I sponged the edges all around the image. 

Using the Big Shot and the Vintage Wallpaper Embossing Folder (EF), I embossed a piece of Wild Wasabi and sponged Elegant Eggplant over the Wild Wasabi (to show the raised detail of the EF).  I attached the Pumpkin Pie layer over Elegant Eggplant, adhered the embossed Wild Wasabi piece over the Pumpkin Pie and mounted the focal image. 

Using the Color Spritzer Tool with the Elegant Eggplant marker, I “spritzed” the entire card.  Stamped the sentiment below the picture with “Best Wishes” from the Short & Sweet set.

I took a small piece of Pumpkin Pie 5/8” Satin Ribbon and folded in half, lined it up with the corner, punched through with the 1/16” hand held punch and inserted an Antique Brad.  I have posted the finished card again to the left for reference. 

This masking technique works great for scenes of all colors- give it a try yourself and have some fun! 

Thanks again for visiting and blessing my life!

1 comment:

Sue Duffy said...

This is beautiful, Julie. I love the colors! TFS the tutorial, too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...