Saturday, May 7, 2022

TCC173 My Help Comes From The Lord

 


Hi Friends!

I apologize for the delay in posting to my cards for The Card Concept challenges to my blog.  Some of you who follow my blog know that my hubby has been battling different cancers (five in total) since 2003.  His battle is over.

My beloved hubby, Dave went to be with the Lord on April 24th , due to a glioblastoma.  He started exhibiting memory issues on February 25th, was diagnosed with a UTI on February 28th  and his memory continued to decline during the week, so he had a MRI on March 7th,   The MRI revealed a lemon sized tumor so we rushed off to the emergency room to wait over 12 hours to have Dave sent via ambulance to Johns Hopkins.  Dave had brain surgery on March 9th  at Johns Hopkins and they could only remove half of the tumor, he had a week long hospital stay and several weeks at rehab until April 8th  I brought him home for supportive/palliative care.  Home Health Care came in on the morning of April 9th and felt (as I did) that Hospice should be called in.  Hospice was ordered and started to assist with his care on  April 16th and my darling Dave took his last breath on earth and first breath in heaven on Sunday the 24th.

Dave and I had discussed at great length over the years that we never wanted to be a burden on anyone and our worst fear would be that we would lose our memories/brain function,  On the day of the MRI and after surgery, Dave had no short-term memory at all, could not walk on his own, had to be reminded to eat/drink, and could not do anything for himself.  

While I did not want to lose my husband here on earth, he was not the same since the MRI and after surgery, he continued to decline mentally and physically due to the location of the brain tumor.

Glioblastoma has no cure and is a difficult cancer to endure.  I am thankful that Dave did not seem to have pain (until the Wed. before he passed and we were able to get him on pain meds so he did not feel any pain).  Plus, he did not really seem to know that he had a brain tumor.  He remained my sweet husband as far as demeanor and so many have had worse symptoms, I was so blessed to have had such a wonderful husband. 

I know that Dave is with the Lord and take great joy in knowing that I will see him again one day along with Jesus!  We both accepted Christ as our Lord and Savior on June 8, 1996 and had almost forty years together (twenty-five as Christians and serving the Lord)! He was my best friend here on earth and while I am heartbroken and miss him terribly, I am also at peace.

This verse is one that has been special to me during the time of being Dave’s caregiver-

 Nehemiah 8:10b ESV

And so not be grieved, for the joy of the Lord is my strength”.

Also the verse on my card for this challenge is perfect for how I felt during this time-

Psalm 121:1-2 ESV

“ I lift up my eyes to the hills.
    From where does my help come?
 My help comes from the Lord,
    who made heaven and earth.”
  

Thank you for your prayers during this time- I am truly blessed beyond words!

This card was designed for The Card Concept #173 {Vintage Style} and I was inspired by the florals on the pillows along with the black script to create a Clean and Layered vintage style Mixed Media card.

I have a personal goal to create a card using stamps and supplies that I already own and have not inked up in a while.  I pulled out this gorgeous Roses & Prayers (collage stamp) from Unity Stamp Co and paired it with a verse sentiment from the Sweet ‘n Sassy Stamps, Be Encouraged clear stamp set.

I also have a personal goal to create a card for each of the Splitcoaststampers’ sketches and I used the SC470 Sketch Challenge for the layout on this card.




If you have not had a chance to visit the Splitcoaststampers’ gallery or our Design Team/gallery at The Card Concept Challenge, I hope you will find time to do so- so much inspiration from all!

To create this card:



De-static a piece of black cardstock with an embossing powder tool, stamp the verse image from So Encouraged with Versamark™ ink onto the prepared panel, apply White Embossing Powder and heat set with a heat tool. 

Once cooled, trim close to the edge and create the “flags” on the end by hand.

Die cut a piece of white cardstock with a stitched rectangle die, de-static with an embossing powder tool, stamp the Roses & Prayers image with Versafine™ Onyx Black ink onto the prepared panel, apply Clear Embossing Powder and heat set with a heat tool. 

Once the embossing has cooled, watercolor the image with water-based markers and use a flourish stencil with Tumbled Glass Distress Oxide ink to add a bit of color in the background (hard to see in the photo).

Mount the floral image layer onto black cardstock, trim close to the edge.

Emboss a piece of white cardstock with the 3D Diamond embossing folder, trim to approx. 4 ⅛” x 3 ½”, mount or a piece of 4 ¼” x 5 ½” piece of black cardstock.

Add a layer of striped designer paper to the lower portion of the black panel.

Die cut a piece of white cardstock with the Tim Holtz Crochet Die, mount onto the background panel with the edges facing up.

Add a strip of 1” black satin ribbon to cover the cut edges of the designer paper and lace, wrapping the ends behind the panel.  

Mount the background panel onto a white card base.

Adhere the main floral image panel on a diagonal (per the sketch) using dimensional foam (or chipboard).

Add the sentiment layer and a few pearls in the upper right hand corner.

Use a clear glitter marker to add shimmer to the rose petals to finish off the card,

Stamp Sets:  Roses & Prayers (Unity Stamp Co.), Be Encouraged (Sweet ‘n Sassy Stamps)

Ink/Mediums:  Versafine™ Onyx Black, Versamark™; Stampin’ Write markers- Blushing Bride, Poppy Parade, Mossy Meadow; Black Watercolor Pencil (SU!), Clear Wink of Stella Glitter Marker, Tumbled Glass Distress Oxide

Cardstock/Paper:  Whisper White, Basic Black, retired red striped designer paper (Stampin’ Up!)

Accessories/Tools: Gemini, Jr.™,  WRMK 3D Diamond Embossing Folder, MFT Stitched Rectangle A2 Dies, Square Punch (to create banner), Sizzix Tim Holtz Crochet Thinlit Dies, Embossing Powder Tool, Clear and White Embossing Powder, Heat Tool, 1” Black Satin Ribbon (from my stash), Pearls

Thanks again for taking the time to visit- I hope you have been inspired to join us in the future at The Card Concept!

3 comments:

Tish said...

Thank you for sharing this difficult and sad passing of your husband. You were blessed in that you had many serious conversations with him. My sister lost her husband to pancreatic cancer, suffering for 3 years. She dedicated her life to his care. He was only 64.
The point is that we are all speechless. Thank the Lord for your faith. My sister became a believer because of Bobby's faith
It is amazing how God will give us peace.
I pray you will continue with your cards since you have a beautiful talent.
Blessings. Your sister in Christ.
Tish Rowe

StampingJudy said...

i have known you were a fellow Christian since I started following your blog several years ago. I lost my own wonderful hubby in June 2015. The Lod has comforted me, and I know he will comfort you. I did not know your hubby was ill. He is now with the Lord, and no cancer! You have many, many adjustments to make that you haven't even begun to meet. I know because I have walked there. Your card is beautiful, as they all are.

Let people help you during this time. You have many decisions to make.

God bless you.

Julie Gearinger said...

Thank you Tish and Judy! You are both so sweet to comment and encourage me- what a blessing! I have been experiencing a peace beyond understanding for sure. It is difficult to explain to those who do not know the Lord, but I am at peace since I know my sweet hubby is in heaven and I will see him again one day. In the meantime, I am praying that I can handle the day-to-day things that he took care of, like mowing the yard, shoveling snow, etc. I have to have double knee replacement and have been waiting 20 years to do so (waiting for the right timing between Dave's health issues and now waiting to be old enough for Medicare, lol!). Right now a few neighbors are helping, PTL, but I also want to learn to use the equipment we have in case they cannot help :-) I do plan to continue to make cards and share online, but have taken a short break to prepare for his memorial and get things under control at the house. Thankfully I have approx. 100 cards that I have created but never posted online, lol! The last few cards were ones that were perfect for our The Card Concept Challenges that I had in my stash ready to go :-) Hugs and love to both of you for your prayers, support and encouragement!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...