Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Happy Father's Day!

Hi Stampers!  

I wanted to share with you the card that I created for my Dad for Father’s Day (I pretty sure that he does not check my blog- if so, Dad, sorry I ruined the surprise:-)).   

My father loves the outdoors and is an avid hunter and fisherman, so I thought I would create a card that represents the world he loves so much.  

This week's  Pals Paper Arts PPA97 Challenge is Fashion Inspiration “Show Your Style”. I hope they mean your paper crafting/card making style (or at least that is what I am sharing) :-).   

It depends on my mood for the day, but I tend to feel more comfortable creating cards that have a distressed or vintage feel.  I love the Clean & Simple (CAS) style and try to create a CAS card occasionally, but I struggle with adding elements and seem to gravitate to creating cards with embossed images, sponged scenes and anything that seems to “age” the card a bit, so I guess my style would be classified as more of a  Vintage Style. 

I also used the SC297Sketch from Splitcoast Stampers- loved the simplicity of the layout and it seemed to suit the masculinity of the card.  

If you have a minute, take some time to check out both sites- the Pals Paper Art’s Design Team is just wonderful and Splitcoast has so many ideas- fair warning, you can spend hours on their site alone :-) !

To create this card:

Use the 1/38" Circle Punch to create a mask for the sun image ( I generally use a sticky note).  With the mask revealing the circle opening, use a Sponge Dauber with Daffodil Delight ink and sponge the circle for the sun onto Very Vanilla (VV).  Remove the mask and place the punched out circle portion over the Daffodil Delight.  Using Sponge Daubers with More Mustard, Pumpkin Pie and Cajun Craze ink continue to sponge ink over the sky area and lightly sponge a bit over the Daffodil Delight.

Repeatedly stamp the wheat stamp from Autumn Days in Early Espresso (also stamping off to give various tones to the wheat) and lightly sponge Early Espresso over the wheat stalks to tone down the VV.   

Stamp the leaf image around the top perimeter using Always Artichoke, Cajun Craze and Early Espresso.  Distress the sides of the image with the Distressing Tool and sponge Early Espresso over the edges.

Use the Big Shot with the Square Lattice EF to emboss a piece of Early Espresso and Always Artichoke DSP.  Attach the Early Espresso strips to the top and bottom of the focal image and insert the brads (from the retired Antique Brass Hardware Kit).
Lightly sand the Always Artichoke embossed panel and sponge Early Espresso over the white core areas.

Use a brayer to apply Early Espresso ink to the Vintage Wallpaper EF (apply the ink to the flat side of the EF) and emboss a piece of Cajun Craze and More Mustard.

Stamp the sentiment and a few leaves onto VV and punch out the sentiment layer with the 1 3/8” Circle Punch (sponge More Mustard over the VV to tone down the brightness of the cardstock).  

Use the Sponge Daubers with More Mustard, Always Artichoke and Early Espresso to “pounce” color onto the pheasant stamp.  Stamp onto VV and cut the image out.  Apply additional Early Espresso over the edges and color the eye area with a Cherry Cobbler SU! Marker.  Lightly spray Champagne Shimmer Mist onto the pheasant and adhere to the scene with a glue stick.  

Assemble the layers and attach the Natural Hemp Twine over the Always Artichoke layer to finish off the card.

Stamp Sets:  Autumn Days , Teeny Tiny Wishes
 Ink: Always Artichoke, Daffofil Delight, Cajun Craze, Pumpkin Pie, Early Espresso, More Mustard
Cardstock:  Very Vanilla, Always Artichoke DSP, Cajun Craze, Early Espresso, More Mustard
Accessories:  Big Shot, Square Lattice and Vintage Wallpaper EF, Brayer, Antique Brass Brads, 1/16” Handheld Hole Punch, 1 3/8” Circle Punch, Natural Hemp Twine, Sponge Daubers, Champagne Mist Shimmer Paint Spray

I had fun making this card and I hope my Dad likes it.  I am so thankful that he is still alive and pray that he will have many more days to enjoy the outdoors and the wildlife that he loves so much! 

Thanks again for stopping by- have fun stamping!     

1 comment:

Pam~ said...

Stunning Julie! Your Dad is one lucky fellow to have such a talented daughter! Love the colors you used! Thanks for playing at Pals Paper Arts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...