Sunday, September 10, 2017

Peaceful Peonies- Block Watercolor Experiment


Hi Friends!

I decided to play around this weekend with the Acrylic Block Watercolor Stamping technique that Just Us Girls shared (see here) and I created two very different cards, of which, this one did not turn out how I expected for sure!

I used a block that had etching and learned a valuable lesson- put the inks on the smooth side, not the etched side- duh!!  I wanted to rescue the card so I applied additional ink layers (please see below). 


If you have not had a chance to check out the above challenge sites yet, I hope you will find the time to do so- as always, gorgeous inspiration from all!

To create this card:

1). Using an acrylic block, pat Tim Holtz® Distress Ink- I used Wild Honey, Picked Raspberry and Chipped Sapphire.  Spritz with water, flip the block over onto watercolor paper and put something heavy (I used my electric pencil sharpener on my desk) and allow it to stay on the paper for five minutes.


2). After five minutes, lift the paper off the block, pat any excess water and dry with the heat tool.  Since I had mistakenly inked the etched side of this block, there was a distinctive grid pattern that showed and I was not thrilled with the result.  To fix this issue, I re-inked the block with Tim Holtz® Distress Oxide Inks- I used Wild Honey and Broken China (trying not to cover all of the distress ink), spritzed with water and re-positioned the inked block over the original background (this time using the smooth surface).

3). Once the five minutes have passed, repeat the block removal step and dry with a heat tool.  Spritz with water to create additional water drops, dry with the heat tool and de-static the panel with an embossing powder tool.

4). Ink the Peaceful Peonies large floral image (NinaB Designs available at Sweet ‘n Sassy Stamps) with Versafine™ Onyx Black ink, apply clear embossing powder and heat set with the heat tool.

5). Repeat the steps above with the verse sentiment from Peaceful Peonies.

6). Hand trim around the edge of the block, distress the edges with a distressing tool and mount onto a piece of white cardstock.  Trim the edges of the white cardstock, mount onto a piece of black cardstock, trim and mount onto a piece of plum cardstock.

7). Use a 5/16” handheld punch (or a piercing tool) to position the antique pewter brads, insert the brads and mount the panel onto the white card base to finish off the card.


Ink/Mediums: Versafine™ Onyx Black; Tim Holtz® Distress Inks- Wild Honey, Picked Raspberry, Chipped Sapphire; Distress Oxide Inks- Broken China, Wild Honey

Paper: Basic Black, Whisper White (Stampin’ Up!), Canson™ Watercolor

Accessories/Tools: Embossing Buddy®, Heat Tool, Stampin’ Emboss® Clear Embossing Powder, Distressing Tool, 5/16" Handheld Punch, Antique Pewter Brads

Thanks again for taking the time to stop by! Praying for all of you in the path of Hurricane Irma- may the Lord bless and keep you safe!

9 comments:

StampingJudy said...

I didn't notice the "etching" until I read the actual post. I like it! It makes it look like a window pane. So you are seeing a gorgeous sunset through the window! Cool technique!

Linda said...

Lovely colors for your background and I like the etching too. Adds dimension. Lovely card.

Heidi Weaver said...

Stunning, Julie! There are so many things I love about your card. That grid pattern with which you wound up by mistake created a wonderful set of window-panes. Some mistakes are serendipitous. The Oxides are gorgeous. I love the colours which you chose to combine. Cutting around the flower---a brilliant move. Simply a beautiful card beautifully executed. Thanks so much for joining our Watercooler Wednesday Challenge this week.

Heather Hopson said...

A beautiful work of art! Your card is gorgeous! Thank you for sharing your instructions and you lovely card with us on Watercooler Wednesday this week.

Created by Kath said...

Thanks for joining us at Watercooler Wednesday Challenges, the colors that you used for the background are beautiful and I love how you trimmed around the flower instead of leaving it square.

Penny Hanuszak said...

Stunning artwork Julie. I love the blue rose on the gorgeous watercolour block background. Stunning. Thanks for playing along on the Feminine Anything Goes Challenge at the Watercooler this week.

libbystamps said...

Very pretty card! Great technique! Thanks for joining us at Watercooler Wednesday for our Feminine Challenge!

Brenda said...

I would disagree with you Julie. It may not look like the picture you had in your mind but it turned out gorgeous none the less. I rather like the added interest of the delicate, slight grid. Wonderful card! Thanks so much for playing us at Little Red Wagon Challenge this week!

Bobby said...

I actually think the grid adds some texture to the background,Julie, at least now that you've overstamped it. I love the way you stamped the peony and then cut around the one corner. Thanks for sharing your card with us at Just Us Girls this week.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...