Tuesday, April 19, 2016

A Friend Loves At All Times- using Toilet Paper for a Paper Cast :-)

Hi Friends!

When I saw Sabrina's (Cook22)Try A New Technique TLC582 “Paper Cast” Challenge at Splitcoaststampers, I decided to give this fun technique a try and create a card :-)

After all, using toilet paper to create a focal image- who could resist? 

But, even after I created this Mixed Media card, I was not sure if should share it with all of you (after all, it is toilet paper), but here it goes....(no pun intended)  :-)

Yes, you read that correctly, you will need toilet paper for this technique- just plain regular toilet paper known as "TP" here in the U.S. (I used Charmin Extra Soft but you can use whatever brand you desire).  

Basically you stack several layers of the TP, press your stamp onto a clear block with the image facing up toward you (or use a wood mount stamp, lay the dry TP stack over your stamp and spritz the area of the image carefully with water (avoiding the edges of the TP), press the TP into the stamp and continue to press with a kitchen towel (I used a microfiber towel that I have in my stamping area), carefully lift the “paper cast” TP off of the stamp and set aside to dry.

Allow the paper cast to dry completely (I used a Heat Tool carefully to speed up the drying) and color if desired.  There are complete details here at the TLC582 challenge forum plus a video tutorial  :-)

This was the first time I had ever tried this technique, so I used six layers (as noted in the video) of the Charmin Extra Soft, die cut the TP with the Big Shot™ using the second to the largest My Favorite Things® (MFT) Stitched Rounded Rectangle Die before proceeding with the steps above to create my paper cast with the flower image from You’ve Got This.

After drying, a few of my paper cast layers separated, so I carefully removed them, colored the floral image with Spectrum Noir® Markers (DG2 for the leaves and BP6 for the petals) and I used the tip of a very fine paintbrush to add Titanium White Acrylic Paint to the flower center.

FYI- I did notice as I photographed the card that the ink on the flower petals bleed a bit when the alcohol markers dried, so I would recommend if using alcohol markers to avoid coloring up to the edges as I did.

Since I noticed several of the ladies in the challenge forum were mentioning that traditional adhesive was not recommended (it would tear the TP, etc.) so I decided to pull out my sewing machine and attach with a zig zag stitch.

I finished off the card with a heat embossed sentiment, added ModPodge® to the butterfly wings  (I mounted the sentiment and butterflies using craft foam and hot glue) along with pearls to the butterfly centers. 

***Please note *** I had the butterflies previously stamped and colored from a prior project, but the original black ink was very light so I used a Black Extra-Fine Point Sharpie® to darken the butterfly wing patterns before adding the ModPodge® and used a White Pitt Pen Marker to add the white highlights after the ModPodge® dried :-)
Close-up of the Paper Cast Floral image :-)

Not sure if I would try this technique again right away, but it was fun and the focal image is very soft looking and a bit fuzzy (difficult to capture in the photos)....

I am also linking to the Simon Says Monday Challenge "Butterfly Beauty" Challenge  as well as the Splitcoaststampers' MIX126 "What If?" ( to get over your fear and try something new....this paper cast technique was definitely new to me :-)).

I hope you will find the time to visit all of challenge sites (fabulous inspiration from all)! 

Stamp Sets: You’ve Got This, Blessed by God, Papillon Potpourri, retired En Francais background stamp

Ink/Mediums: Versamark™, Pear Pizzazz; Stampin’ Write Marker- So Saffron; Spectrum Noir® Alcohol Markers (DG2, BP6); Titanium White Acrylic Paint, Black Extra-Fine Sharpie®, Faber-Castell® White Pitt Pen Marker, ModPodge®

Paper: Whisper White, Basic Black, Melon Mambo, Pear Pizzazz

Accessories: Big Shot™, MFT Stitched Rounded Rectangle Dies, Toilet Paper, Elegant Butterfly Punch, Note Punch, Pearls, Sewing Machine, White Sewing Thread, #2 Paint Brush


Thanks again for taking the time to visit- oh, and don’t forget, now you will need to stock up on your TP for the craft room- lol!!

6 comments:

Bev Polen - Guneaux Designs said...

Julie, your card is BEAUTIFUL with the deep magenta floral image!! I had to come to your blog to read about it, and I see that you and I had the same thought about sharing our creation!! You did a great job!!

Bev - Guneaux Designs

Deborah said...

Hi Julie, been following your blog for awhile but always seem to busy to stop and tell you how beautiful your work is. The card you sent Dean for his birthday was awesome, and our Christmas Card is still on my desk trying to give me inspiration to get crafty. LOL
I looked for an email to contact you but didn't find anything if you get a chance my address is ddwyant@gmail.

Deborah

Emma Williams said...

Wow...this card is beautiful and that flower is stunning ~ gorgeous work! Thank you so much for sharing and for playing along with us over on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog... :)

Mimi said...

So unique! Good for you to try something new!

Mimi said...

And after I just wrote my comment I saw that you live where I was born (Fred.)! I haven't lived in MD since I was a baby, but all my fam is there. :)

Julie Gearinger said...

Thanks Ladies for all of your encouraging comments! This was definitely an "outside the box" technique for me :-) Mimi, what a small world we live in...Frederick has grown quite a bit in the past 30+ years but it will always be "home" for my husband and I :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...